Sunday, March 17, 2013

Bubble Bubble Boil and Trouble Abstract

 



This is a painting I just finished today using a new technique I learned very recently. I used a heat gun on the paint as it was drying to get the bubbles and boils as a unique texture. I had tested this technique out with gesso yesterday, and am still working on finishing that painting. This cadmium red paint had been sitting in my acrylic box for over a year, since it was too thick and dry to work with when I bought it. It would not come out of the tube anymore, so I cut off the top and added water until it was a more workable consistency. I then used the heat gun for quite a long time, seeing as how the paint was still thick, it took some time to bubble. The nice thing about taking that much time was that the heat gun added all of the tints and shades I needed. The longer I kept the heat on one spot, the darker it would get, and if it was there long enough, it turned an iridescent gold, which looks great with the red. I used the heat gun in multiple stages of the paint's drying process, the more dry or thin the paint was, the smaller the bubbles and boils. To finish the piece off, I used the black spray webbing and heated that as well to add some dimension. Here are two pictures of the painting, one of the whole piece and a close up to show the texture and unique creepiness of the piece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment