Saturday, March 2, 2013

Abstract olive green scraper painting

Among my new art supplies, I got some fantastic 5 inch paint scrapers. The work like palette knives in a painting, creating wonderful surface texture, and making even stripes and grids with ease. I have been experimenting with mixing acrylic paints recently, and ready that adding black to cadmium medium yellow creates this wonderful olive green. I wanted to figure out how to use my black paint tube in mixing colors, since I have now found ways to mix richer blacks than what comes in a tube. Mixing colors opens up a whole new world of paint options, and I get such a kick out of learning new techniques and tips for my art. It is so fulfilling to learn a new technique, and be able to successfully conquer it. I have enjoyed making abstract paintings immensely over the last two years, and will continue to do so for a long time. However, I would like to expand my craft and learn some new styles. This is why I have been practicing drawing, and have sought the help of fellow painters who are superb portrait painters. Even if I don't often paint in that style, or enjoy making them too often, I will still like to know how to paint in these different genres. I also want to see what I can bring into my own personal style, maybe twisted portraits of people with an abstract feel. To other artists, do you have your own style or niche you like to create within, or do you enjoy working in a bit of everything?

No comments:

Post a Comment